By John Briscoe
Read Online or Download A Commentary on Livy, Books 38-40 PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The Greek novel occupies a distinct position within the debate on gender in antiquity, forcing us to invite why the feminine protagonists are such powerful and optimistic characters. This publication rejects the speculation of a mostly woman readership, and likewise sees an issue in ascribing this trend to the mirrored image of a blanket development within the prestige of ladies.
This assortment brings jointly prime specialists in a few fields of the arts to supply a brand new viewpoint at the classical culture. Drawing on reception stories, philology and early sleek stories, the essays discover the interplay among literary feedback and the a number of cultural contexts during which texts have been produced, came upon, appropriated and translated.
Humane beliefs have been important to the picture Athenians had of themselves and their urban through the classical interval. Tragic performs, which shaped part of civic schooling, frequently promoted pity and compassion. however it is much less transparent to what volume Athenians embraced such beliefs in lifestyle. How have been they anticipated to reply, emotionally and pragmatically, to the discomfort of alternative humans?
Der Kindler kompakt-Band bietet eine Auswahl von ca. 60 Texten zu den großen Werken der griechischen und römischen klassischen Antike.
- Latin Epics of the New Testament: Juvencus, Sedulius, Arator
- Verkörperungen von Herrschaft: Zorn und Macht in Texten des 12. Jahrhunderts (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- Petrarch the Poet (Routledge Revivals): An Introduction to the 'Rerum Vulgarium Fragmenta'
- Deissmann the Philologist (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- Greek Literature in Late Antiquity: Dynamism, Didacticism, Classicism
Additional info for A Commentary on Livy, Books 38-40
A Commentary on Livy, Books 38-40 by John Briscoe